The Pacific Grove Oral History Project was started in September 2014 by 3 Pacific Grove High School students under the auspices of the Pacific Grove Public Library and was funded by the Friends of the Pacific Grove Public Library. Golnoush Pak, George Haugen and Michele Haugen interviewed 5 longtime PG residents and produced this 10 minute film.
Jose Maria Armenta claims the land grant for “Punta de los Pinos” (2,667 acres that included Monterey and Pacific Grove.)
Point Pinos Lighthouse built. (It is the oldest continuously operated lighthouse on the west coast.)
David Jacks acquires “Punta de los Pinos Rancho” from Darrell Stokes Gregory.
David Jacks acquires more of the Rancho lands.
Methodist Annual Conference meets in San Francisco and begins the discussion of creating a seaside resort on the west coast. Rev. W.S. Ross spends time camping in a grove of trees near Monterey Bay. The land is owned by David Jacks and negotiations begin with him for the use of his land.
The Pacific Grove Retreat Association (PGRA) is formed.
Official agreement signed between the PGRA and David Jacks for 100 acres of the existing Rancho Punta de los Pinos land. For Jacks, the deal is partially a donation and partially a business deal. The first map of Pacific Grove is filed with the Monterey County Recorder’s Office.
August 8 through August 29: Commencement of first Methodist camp in Pacific Grove.
Unsold Pacific Grove Retreat lots revert back to David Jacks as per the agreement of 1875.
David Jacks sells all of remaining Punta de los Pinos Rancho to the Pacific Improvement Company (PIC), a branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad. The selling price was $35,000.
The first Chautauqua Summer Retreat meeting is held. The Feast of Lanterns celebration begins to mark the closing of the Summer Retreat.
Eight families now live year-round in the Grove.
March 31: The PIC and the PGRA sign a contract stating the PIC controls financial management and the PGRA controls “the moral and prudential management” of Pacific Grove.
Carrie Lloyd opens a summer school for children in Chautauqua Hall.
Business begin to appear on Lighthouse near Forest. The first library opens in the “reading corner” of the old Parlor.
First hotel opens: The El Carmelo between Fountain and Forest Ave. St. Mary’s-by-the-Sea consecrated.
Pacific Grove incorporates.
Railroad comes to Pacific Grove.
Pine Street School opens with 150 students enrolled. The school serves all grade levels. President Benjamin Harrison visits Pacific Grove.
Hopkins Seaside Lab - part of Stanford University - is built.
Pacific Grove Bath House is built.
Electric lights come to Pacific Grove. The Mayflower Church is built.
First Telephone exchange installed.
President William McKinley visits Pacific Grove.
President Theodore Roosevelt visits Pacific Grove.
The city of Pacific Grove obtains a Carnegie grant to build a public library.
Arson fire destroys the Chinese fishing village at Cabrillo Point.
Pacific Grove Public Library opens at its current location.
Pacific Grove High School constructed on Forest Avenue (presently the Middle School).
Pacific Improvement Company donates land to the YWCA. This becomes Asilomar “Refuge by the Sea.”
The Monterey Boatworks is built on the site of the former Chinese fishing village.
Pacific Biological Laboratory, Ed Rickett’s first laboratory, opens at 165 Fountain. Pine Street grammar School opens. Renamed Robert H. Down Elementary School in 1952.
Holman’s Department Store opens on Lighthouse Avenue. Lighthouse Avenue paved.
Forest Hill Hotel constructed at Forest and Gibson, currently Forest Hill Manor Retirement Center.
John Steinbeck moves to Pacific Grove, 147 Eleventh Street. Holman Highway built (Hwy 68 East).
Pacific Grove Museum opens to the public. Pacific Grove Municipal golf course opens.
Post Office constructed.
Pacific Grove by Kent Seavey and the Heritage Society of Pacific Grove. Arcadia Publishing, 2005.
Pacific Grove: A Story of Western Development by Robert J. Rapp. Master’s Thesis, 2002.
Local History Files, Pacific Grove Public Library.